Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Mind for Ministry

A mind for ministry begins with your heart, and sometimes your ears.

It is to no value if your words outnumber the stars yet their light as faint as a simmering candle. We as ministers (every Christian should be in the lifestyle of ministry) should never forget that the greatest act of ministry does not so often come in the form of spoken word or prophetic thought, but rather the greatest act of ministry comes in the form of listening whole-heartedly to the words of a beloved brother or sister.

We as ministers of children, preteens and families must remember always that the words we say are just as important as the words we listen to. In fact, I would even say that the words we listen outweigh the significance of the words we say!

And trust me, I do not write these words lightly, as I am quite fond of words especially my own. It is a problem I must remind myself of and more importantly the antidote--to be slow to speak...and quick to listen. 

I pray as you read these words your heart may be spurred on toward the opportunity to listen before you speak. Or if this is a treasured discipline of yours already, may you be encouraged to know that I am in pursuit of the art of listening as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment