Friday, April 6, 2012

Does the Easter Bunny go to Sunday School?

Today is Good Friday, which means Easter is only a few days away! It is remarkable to me how quickly Easter came up, I still remember seeing all the fast food restaurants changing their marquees to advertise their fish sandwiches!

With one of the most anticipated days in the church calendar coming up, I am certain many of us involved in ministry are asking ourselves

What should I do to get preteens excited for Easter?

This is a simple question with a not so simple answer. Some of you may use cool lights, fog machines, beautiful productions or skits, maybe even some form of magic tricks. All of these methods for teaching are of course useful and exciting! But I wonder how Jesus would have taught preteens...


Easter in our preteen ministry is always a challenge for me. I spend hours upon hours in prayer, asking God what He desires for me to do. Last year was definitely a stretch for me, but it was a powerful leap of faith as God called for me to lead a short worship with our preteens (and I am by no means a singer!). It was so amazing to see our preteens enraptured by the overwhelming joy of Christ. 

My simple petition to you, is that you take a pause in the middle of all of your planning and designing, and consider God's will in it all. I am not trying to say whether or not you should use a strobe light, or a laser show, an acoustic guitar or an electric guitar. I am trying to say, have you asked God what He wants to do? 

Yet not as I will, but as you will

May you and your ministry be blessed this Easter weekend as you pursue heavenly things and equip your preteens with the awesome saving truth of the Gospel and Jesus' Resurrection. 

Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment