Monday, January 28, 2013

Themed Events for Preteens!

I have always been against "theme" nights. I think I wore the wrong costume to one as a child and it has forever scarred me. Having spent some time in our preteen ministry, I must concede that preteens LOVE themed events. Crazy socks, crazy hair, crazy hat, does not matter one bit just so long as they get to dress fun and crazy!

The difficulty with incorporating themed events with preteens is understanding their culture.
Not All Themes are Created Equal! 
So here are some theme ideas I have worked with and the preteens loved it!

Black-Out! All glow-in-the-dark games, and all kinds of fun!

Ninja style games, and everyone dressed in black. Definitely a favorite!

Easily the most successful theme. Boys and girls dressed up a ton.
Fighting evil turkeys. Everyone dressed in camo. Lots of fun.

Medieval theme! Knights and princesses, jesters and kings. Good times!

Each theme has had its own unique set of games to parallel the theme. I think my favorite set of games was probably for ninja night or pirate night, or black-out night, really they were all pretty awesome. I hope some of these ideas get you excited about how you can use them in your ministry!
Be Blessed!



1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog! And you have fantastic ideas! Could you send me the games you used for Blackout night? Our kids would LOVE that! stephaniem@woodschapelchurch.org

    ReplyDelete